Thursday 4 June 2009

Irish Graverobbers & Watchtowers


Mary decided to visit her family's grave today, and while her attention was focused tidying the grave and having a chat with the departed I was drawn to a round tower on higher ground, mary told me it was a watchtower to protect the graveyard from Grave robbers, who would sell the bodies for medical science, well our course i have heard of graverobbers in england but never been aware of watchtowers before, obviously this was a horrendous thought for the departeds family to submit to, wandering about I got some lovely photos of the tower and in a sheltered corner of the cememtry I came across some exposed bones, needless to say Ii left them where I found Them!
I came across film preview of 'I SELL THE DEAD' which tells the tale of 18th century justice that has finally caught up with grave robbers Arthur Blake and Willie Grimes. With the specter of the guillotine looming over him, young Blake confesses to a priest, Father Duffy, his fifteen years of adventure in the resurrection trade click on link to watch this really good irish tale Video URL: http://us.imdb.de/video/wab/vi3227516953/

No comments:

Post a Comment