Friday 3 July 2009

The Mystery


According to ancient Irish oral tradition, the poem entitled ‘the mystery' was poem by Amergin, a Milesian poet who came to Ireland hundreds of years before the Christian faith.

'The Mystery'

I am the wind that breathes upon the sea
I am the wave of the ocean
I am the murmur of the billows
I am the ox of the seven combats
I am the vulture upon the rocks
I am a beam of the sun
I am the fairest of plants
I am a wild boar in valor
I am a salmon in the water
I am a lake in the plain
I am a word of science
I am the point of the lance of battle
I am the God who created in the head the fire
Who is it who throws light into the meeting on the mountain?
Who announces the ages of the moon?
Who teaches the place where couches the sun? If not I?


Visit Newpark Country House website on http://www.newpark-house-athlone.webs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment